< December, 2013 >
Club Bylaws updated 12-11-2010
Between the Hills Trailheaders Bylaws
Amended Dec 11, 2010
Article I: Club Name:
1. For legal purposes, this organization will be officially known as the “Between the hills Trailheaders”
2. For simplicity purposes, this organization will operate as the “TRAILHEADERS”
Article II: Objectives:
1. This shall be a non-profit organization for the purpose of social, recreational, and educational activities; to enjoy and protect our natural resources; to enjoy family oriented outdoor activities; and to foster the enjoyment of our four wheel drive vehicles.
Article III: Membership:
Section 1. Applicants for membership must fulfill the following requirements:
1. Own or co-own a 4WD vehicle intended for trail use.
2. Possess a valid driver’s license.
3. Maintain state minimum insurance.
4. Attend 2 club meetings and 1 club trip and apply for membership within a 3 month timeframe.
5. An applicant for membership must be 18 years of age or older.
6. Pilot their vehicle in at least 1) club run within the same 3 (three) month period as above. The prospective member must then be nominated for membership by one current member of the club.
Section 2. Prospective members must be approved by 2/3rds vote of the Board of Directors.
Section 3. When accepted, the new member has until the next regular meeting to pay any unpaid membership dues by cash or check.
Section 4. Vehicle inspections will be performed by an officer or other competent members appointed by the Board of Directors on first time vehicles and periodically on membership vehicles to ensure that all required equipment is on board and functioning properly.
Section 5. Membership is one family and the unmarried children under the age of 18.
-Valid drivers under the age of 18 can only drive separate vehicles if his/her parent(s) are also on the trip.
-No alcoholic beverages will be carried in vehicles owned or operated by individuals under the age of twenty-one.
-Valid drivers under the age of 18 must be covered under his/her parent(s) insurance.
Section 6. All members will conduct themselves in a respectable and orderly fashion whether in or out of club activities. Any member disgracing themselves in the public eye will be subject to immediate expulsion from the club, subject to the discussion of the Board of Directors.
Section 7. Members whose dues are not paid in full shall have no rights and privileges as provided by being a member of this organization.
Section 8. Members with extenuating circumstances as determined by the Board of Directors shall be excused from the requirements of ARTICLE III to be considered a member in good standing.
Section 9. Members who have been removed from the club roster due to no vehicle, unpaid dues, or any other reason as described in ARTICLE III, wishing to be reinstated in the club shall be held to the application process of a new member.
Article IV: Dues:
Section 1. $50.00 Yearly Family Membership Fee
1.Family Membership is defined as member, spouse and unmarried children under the age of 18 whom reside with the applying members. This membership includes 2 votes in a general membership meeting. Members must be present to vote.
2. A one time initiation fee of $10 will be assessed to all new members.
3. Dues are due at the February general membership meeting and are delinquent if not paid by the close of the March general membership meeting.
4. Any member whose dues are not current will be dropped from the roster and his or her membership number will be forfeited.
5. Dues will be prorated bi-annually at 50% of the annual fee. Members joining Aug 1 to Jan 31 will pay $25 dues and the $10 initiation fee.
6. Associate memberships are available for a fee of $25 per year. Associate members are not required to attend any meetings or club events and do not have any voting rights. Associate members understand their membership generally supports the club as a whole.
7. Portions of membership dues go towards maintaining yearly memberships in the following organizations:
a) Blue Ribbon Coalition
b) Tread Lightly
c) United 4 Wheel Drive Association
Article V: Meetings:
1. Meetings of the membership of Between the hills TRAILHEADERS shall be held the first Tuesday of every month, except those Tuesdays that fall on a National Holiday at which the meeting will be rescheduled to a date determined by the Officers.
2. Members present at a regular meeting shall constitute a quorum for a membership meeting.
Article VI: Administration of Officers:
1. The officers of the Between the hills TRAILHEADERS shall consist of a President, Vice President, Secretary/Treasurer, and Public Relations Officer and shall be known as the Executive Committee. It shall be their duty to draw up the agenda for all membership meetings, and it shall be their further duty to assume functions as the Board of Directors in cases of emergency.
2. The Board of Directors shall consist of the members of the Executive Committee, the immediate past President, and Two directors elected by the membership.
3. Officers shall not hold the same office more than three (3) terms concurrently. No director shall serve more than four (4) years concurrently. Serving as an officer or director for part of a term shall not constitute a term
4. No officer shall be added to the club except by a majority vote of the entire membership
Article VII : Duties and Powers of Officers:
1. The President shall preside over all membership and board meetings and shall be present at all events when possible. He/she shall be the executive officer and shall have the duty to carry out the policies and the decisions of the board of directors. The President shall not vote in any proceedings of the general membership or Board of directors meeting unless in the event of a tie.
2. The Vice President shall, in the absence of the President, serve in that capacity. He/she shall also serve as a Parliamentarian and perform such other as may be assigned by the Board of Directors.
3. The Secretary shall keep and preserve all records and minutes of the meetings of the regular membership and the ledger roll call and determine the number of voting members present so it may be known if a quorum is in attendance and shall keep a file system of membership, shall receive and answer all general correspondence pertaining to the organization.
4. The Treasurer shall keep accurate and complete records of the funds and accounts of this organization and shall collect all dues and maintain a record thereof. He/she shall make only such disbursements from the funds of the organization as are directed by the Board of Directors and Article VIII hereof.
5. The Public Relations Officer duties shall consist of garnering public support and sponsorship for local events and public input.
Article VIII: Expenditures and Finance:
1. All moneys received from all sources shall immediately be turned over to the Treasurer to be deposited in the checking account of the Between the Hills Trailheaders
2. No withdrawal from funds shall be made without the approval of the Board of Directors. All expenditures shall be made by check, and the item for which each check is drawn shall be designated on the face or reverse side thereof separately, stating the amount of each.
3. Any two officers can sign checks for club expenditures approved by the Board of Directors.
Article IX: Committees:
1. Committees shall be designated by the Board of Directors. Each committee shall be assigned by the President to a director who shall be responsible for it's activities and who, with the approval of the Board of Directors, will appoint a committee chairman.
Article X: Election of Officers:
1. The membership shall meet and elect officers and directors each year during the first meeting in January of each year. Officers shall take office before the first meeting in February. Voting shall be in person, not by proxy or mail.
2. All election nominations for each and every office of this organization will be made from the floor of the general membership meeting held in December.
3. Balloting for each office shall be in separate successive sequence and will be held by secret ballot. All ballots for offices must be counted and checked by three members other than nominees.
4. A majority of votes cast is necessary for elections to an office or position on the Board of Directors
5. In the event of a vacancy in the office of Vice President, Secretary, or Treasurer, an election shall be called to elect a successor. In the event of a vacancy on the Board of Directors the directors shall elect a successor.
6. Nominations can be taken from the general membership via the clubs website forums. Those nominations must be accepted or denied by the nominated party via the forums 1 week prior to General Election membership meeting in January.
7. Absentee voting will be allowed for members not able to attend the general meeting in January. Absent member must call in his or her votes to a member of the current Board of Directors prior to the meeting of the general membership meeting in January.
Article XI: Recall:
1. Any officer or director of the Between the hills Trailheaders may be recalled by a two third majority vote of the entire membership.
Article XII: Events:
1. All events shall be subject to approval by the Board of Directors. Events will be under the direction of a Trip Leader appointed by the Board of Directors.
2. All members, including the President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Public Relations officer are responsible to the direction of the appointed Trip Leader and his appointed assistants from the set time of the beginning of an event to the termination of an event. At no time has any member or officer the right to demand any unscheduled stop or change of route or plans. No provision is to be made to permit any member to join an event at any location or time other that the location and said time decided upon for the event if such provision causes any change of time, any stop, any delay, or any change of route.
3. All events must be conducted in an orderly manner and with safety as the prime factor. Any event will be subject to liability releases.
4. No member or guest under the age of 18 will be permitted to drive in any event unless accompanied by or with written permission of parent or guardian.
5. All competitive events shall be under the direct authority, supervision, and control of the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors shall determine entrance classifications and regulations for various events and shall approve trophies and awards to be presented. Anyone determined to be physically or mentally disturbed at the time of an event shall be disqualified. Vehicles may be subject to technical inspection varying according to the type of event and shall be disqualified if found mechanically unsafe.
6. All members and guests participating in an event shall abide by the Motor Vehicle Code of the state concerned and by the laws and regulations of the city, the county, or the circumstances involved.
Article XIII: Rules and Procedures:
1. Unless otherwise specified in these By-Laws, Roberts Rules of Order Revised shall govern parliamentary procedure.
Article XIV: Amendments:
Section 1. By-Laws can be amended by the Board of Directors
Section 2. By-Law amendment proposals made by the general membership must be submitted in writing to the Secretary.
Section 3. By-Law amendment become effective immediately following approval by the Board of Directors.
Article XV: Dissolution:
1. Upon dissolution of the Alliance, any remaining assets shall be distributed equally among current members after a 60 day waiting period in which any outstanding bills can be paid.
Article XVI: Code of Conduct and Trip Rules:
Section 1. All members must conduct themselves in a respectable and orderly manner. Any member disgracing the club will be subject to dismissal. Formal charges, in writing, may be brought against such a member, and the general membership will be advised of the reason for dismissal. A 2/3's (two-thirds) vote from the members present at a regular or special meeting will sustain dismissal. If a special meeting is called for this purpose, members will be advised at least 1 (one) week in advance. Any member with formal charges brought against them may not participate in any sanctioned club run or activity unless the charges have been addressed and dismissed.
Trips will be on the 3rd weekend of the month (unless otherwise specified). Meeting places and departure times will be addressed at the general membership meeting prior to the event.
Trips can be planned and outlined within the clubs online forums. 3 participating members in any event constitutes an official club run as long as the event was posted in the club forums with adequate time allowed for all members to view the trip details.
Section 2. Trip rules will be adhered to at all times:
1. IF YOU HAUL IT IN, YOU HAUL IT OUT. Don't discard litter on the ground or bury trash.
2. Use extreme care with cigarettes and matches. Prevent fires by using ashtrays and maintaining your vehicles exhaust system.
3. Drinking of alcoholic beverages while driving on or off road is not allowed.
4. Members will be responsible for their guests, pets, and family.
5. When traveling in a caravan, always keep the vehicle both ahead and behind in sight. If the vehicle behind you stops, stop and assist him/her, except on a freeway, then proceed to the next off ramp and let the Tail Gunner, (last man), stop and assist.
6. Don't drive over plants or soft meadows or anywhere damage to the terrain may occur. Stay on the marked trail. Remember the property we use usually belongs to someone else. In other words TREAD LIGHTLY!
7. The Trail Boss is in charge of the run. Cooperate with him/her and obey the orders given. The Trail Boss has the ultimate authority on all runs, and will report attendance to the Secretary for record keeping.
8. If you must leave the caravan for any reason, notify the Trail Boss immediately.
9. Outdoor restroom stops will be handled with common sense.
10. Profane language should be limited and used with discretion.
11. CB Channel will be 4.
12. No hot-dogging, no careless or reckless driving. Please be courteous.
Section 3. Trail Boss & Tail Gunner
1. Trail Boss: The leader of the trip. The trail boss will have a working CB. He is the one to ensure people are leaving on time and maintains the pace for the day. The tail gunner works with the trail boss to ensure the trip keeps moving and nobody is left behind. Trail Boss is also responsible for getting attendance on club runs.
2. Tail Gunner: The last vehicle on the trail. Will have a working CB and will coordinate with the trail boss on vehicle status through out the trip.
3. Trail Boss will be determined at the meeting prior to the run.
Section 4. Mandatory Equipment for Trail Runs
1. Operational CB
2. Front/Rear Recovery Points
3. Tow Strap (No hooks on straps and no chains)
4. Fire Extinguisher
5. Good Spare or ability to fix/plug/repair a tire.
6. Battery Hold Down
7. Working Jack (appropriate for the height of your vehicle)
8. First Aid Kit
9. Functional seat restraints (seat belts) for all occupants.
10. Operational lighting system: Headlights, taillights, turn signals
**Current and New members will be given a 90 day grace period based on their enrollment date and/or acceptance of the revisions of this section to acquire all items listed in the above mandatory equipment list.(1-21-2008)
Section 5. Optional/Recommended Equipment
1. Spare Parts (axle shafts, drive shafts, U-Joints, etc.)
2. Tool kits
3. On-Board Air.
6. Adequate off road tires
7. Roll cage
ARTICLE XVII: Club Website and Administrator:
1. The club website will be www.trailheaders.net
2. The site will be maintained by a qualified and elected Site Administrator by the Officers.
3. The Site Administrator will select Moderators to assist in the day to day operations of the site as he/she sees fit related to the size and activity of the website.
FINAL BY-LAW: Drive at your own risk. The TRAILHEADERS are not responsible for ANY damage to you, your passengers or your vehicle. In the event you need to be extracted from a trail, club members are responsible for their own vehicle and properties. In the event that you receive damage to your vehicle while on a club trip, you are solely responsible for that damage.
Created on 02/06/2008 05:19 PM by wildhare
Updated on 12/11/2010 03:17 PM by wildhare